MOSTe has three phases: middle school, high school, and college and beyond.
MOSTe (Middle School):
- Scholars are recruited, apply and are interviewed in cooperation with MOSTe’s partner middle schools (Johnnie Cochran Middle School, LA Leadership Academy, Samuel Gompers Middle School, Carver Middle School, Markham Middle School, and Wilson Middle School).
- Accepted scholars are matched in groups with mentoring teams.
- Mentors support the scholars as they participate in:
– Middle school college workshops
– Regional college tours
– Cultural programming and weekend events
– The MOSTe College Symposium
– MOSTe Annual retreat
– A competitive “incentive” scholarship program, awarded at the Culmination ceremony in June
MoreMOSTe (High School):
- Students who complete the MOSTe Middle School program are invited to continue in the MoreMOSTe program.
- Each high school scholar is matched with an individual mentor.
- Benefits to scholars include:
– Monthly college workshops
– A three-week College 101 and Essay Writing Boot Camp for rising seniors, presented by MOSTe’s College Counselor
– Unlimited access to volunteer College Coaches
– Regional and long-distance college tours
– Free SAT/ACT preparation
– Opportunities to attend cultural and sports events
– Participation in MOSTe’s volunteer service program focused on Social Change
- MOSTe offers social and academic support to college scholars via:
– Workshops focused on college transition
– Check-ins with trained College Coaches
– Social events during school breaks
– Resume writing, mock interviews, and networking
- MOSTe tracks the success of PostMOSTe scholars towards completion of their college degree.
- All PostMOSTe scholars are invited to participate in key annual events, including the annual College Symposium (held this year in conjunction with community partner USC), the MOSTe Retreat, and the MOSTe Culmination ceremony.