This February MOSTE’s remembers its first Cultural Diversity Day last year that was a hit from the discussions about self-identity and awareness to the level of critical thinking that the mentees displayed throughout the day. The event emphasized how students will need to start to thinking about their identity as they go through high school, write application essays and go to college in different cities.
So what did the girls learn? Here are some of their comments:
- I learned that you can be independent and learn from others and not be ashamed to be yourself.
- Women can be whatever they want even if others put them down. They can believe.
- We can overpower the stereotypes.
- You can empower yourself by being positive and thinking positive comments.
- I learned that there are many strong women in this room today.
- You shouldn’t be scared of what you believe.
- Women are really awesome.
- There are a lot of ways to empower women and fight racism.
- We are the ones who create families and therefore society. If we have the information and use it to educate our children, this society will change.
- We have to climb that mountain because we’re always going to have obstacles.